Saturday, February 23, 2019

D is for Dryer Sheets

The year of alphabet themed cards continues.  For the letter D, I opted for the dryer sheet technique.  (Here is an official tutorial from Splitcoast Stampers.)  You will need a used dryer sheet.  (Preferably unscented unless you know your recipient doesn't mind the smell.)

Take the image you want to use and stamp it. I find this works better with an image that isn't too finely detailed.  Color the image.  Trim it down to size or die cut it (I used an oval die to cut out my image).  Run the image face down through a xyron machine.  If you have full-sheet adhesive, you could cut a piece slightly larger than your cut out, trim to size, peel off one side of the adhesive backing, and adhere to the FRONT of the image.  Yep, you want your image covered with adhesive.  It also needs to be a dry adhesive, not liquid.

Burnish your image well to ensure the adhesive is all stuck.  Peel off the protective sheet, and apply the dryer sheet to it.  Smooth out as best you can.  Trim away the excess dryer sheet, then sprinkle clear glitter over the image.  Rub the glitter in-- it should be sticking to the little bits of adhesive that remain exposed by the holes in the dryer sheet's weave.  (An unused dryer sheet is too dense, and also coated with softener, which has a waxy feel.)

Here is a close up of a focal image:




I think this technique works especially well for snowy scenes.  This stamp is a little stamp from Altenew.











Here is the finished card.  The picture seems a little out of focus-- I don't think my phone liked the woodgrain paper.




I've done this technique once before, a long time ago, and it turned out a little differently.  I think the secret is to use a brand name dryer sheet if you can-- I think the last one I used was either by Snuggle or All.  This one was my grocery store's brand (because they were free). The brand name one had fibers that seemed to be much more open once the sheet was used; the generic one was a little dense, and a little fuzzier, but it's still a neat technique.

No comments: